Newspaper article celebrating their 50th anniversary.
Mr. and Mrs. John Gaddis on August 8th passed the fiftieth milestone that marks their journey of married life. They have been residents of this city the past fifteen years.
Mr. Gaddis was born at Gettysburg, Pa., March 26th, 1836. At an early age he served an apprenticeship in Cincinnati, Ohio, as a carpenter. He operated the first planing mill in Evansville Ind., during his early manhood.
Mrs. Gaddis' maiden name was Priscilla Still. She was born in London, England, May 31, 1841. She came to this country at the age of 16 years. The couple was married at Millersburg, Ind., Aug. 8, 1861.
Forty years ago Mr. Gaddis established a furniture factory in Olney, which he conducted for a time. He came to this city 39 years ago and established a hardwood saw mill. He sawed and donated the lumber used in constructing the present M. E. church building. Later he established a flour mill in connection with his saw mill on the site now occupied by the Fairfield ice plant. This mill was later burned. He went to Wayne City some 28 years ago and engaged in the saw milling business, and also established the flour mill there, later owned by Paul Hardy. He sawed and donated the hardwood lumber for the Wayne City Christian church. In 1896 he returned to Fairfield and built the flour mill now being operated by his son, B. N. Gaddis.
By a former marriage Mr. Gaddis had one daughter, Mrs. A. S. Jessop, of Xenia. This couple has been the parents of six children: William, Robert and Bert N., in this city; Charles Gaddis, at Mt. Sterling, Ill., Jacob Gaddis, of Weatherford, Okla., and Mrs. M. C. Morris, of Xenia, Ill. There are 24 grand-children. Several children have died.
The venerable couple live alone on Southern depot street in this city, and are enjoying fairly good health for people of their age.
The golden wedding day was celebrated in a quiet sort of way, the couple receiving the congratulation of relatives and such friends as had been advised of the affair. That they may live to celebrate many more wedding anniversaries, is the wish of their many friends in which the PRESS joins heartily.
Wayne County Illinois Press
August 17, 1911